Posted by: catamarantwooceans | July 24, 2012

With my Friends–part 2

21.7.12 – Saturday afternoon – We went ashore at 1530 and put the dinghy right on the water line. The tide was going out and we did not plan on staying long in town. Plans are the basis for unexpected changes and somehow we found ourselves on the beach, two hours later, with the water 300 meters away. Of course we could drag the dinghy but then we would have had to come back for dinner and our laundry, so the logical thing to do was to stay ashore and wait for the water to come back.

We had our dinner, took our laundry and went back to the dinghy. The water line was now about 100 meters away. Life on beach took a turn that we did not foresee; the entertainment businesses were playing music, if you can call it that, in full volume. There was no way we could wait any longer. We dragged the dinghy and arrived at "Two Oceans" wondering whether sleep will be possible with all that noise. Didn’t I use the words "tranquil environment" to describe this bay?

22.7.12 – Sunday – Gideon says the music went on up to 2 a.m; I woke up at 0230, perhaps because of the silence and dosed off again.

After the morning fruit and coffee we raised the anchor and headed out towards Koh Dam group. The mooring near "Chicken island" was occupied so we went on to anchor east of Dam Hok; 4 meters deep over sand, excellent holding. I’m sure that when the tourist boats will leave we’ll have the P&Q (peace and quiet) we so crave.

IMG_2487 - Copy

                              Looking SW from the anchorage

IMG_2490 - Copy

                               The guys are happy with the place

23.7.12 – Monday – First destination of the day was Koh Hong, the one Gili and I ran away from after we saw that the sea was full of jelly fish. Later I found out that there was a big Hong on the north side of the island and we were determined not to miss it. We were tacking towards the place under sail with no urgency to get there early as high water was supposed to occur at 1300. Once we got there we found a mooring near the entrance and went in with the dinghy.

This Hong, like the others we’ve seen, is a special natural phenomenon. a lagoon inside an island, open to the sea either by a narrow channel or a cave and tunnel. The following is the pass looking out.

IMG_2502 - Copy

Inside the Hong, under a unique rock formation, two long-tail boats waited for tourists. A few boatloads of those came in just as we were going out.

IMG_2498 - Copy 

We left Koh Hong for the anchorage on the northeast of Koh yao Yai, near Paradise boutique beach resort, sailing through a few showery squalls. I remembered that last time we were here the anchor dragged so I put out two anchors in tandem.

At one point, shortly after lifting the ladder up to the aft port steps, I noticed that the water gauge was showing close to zero. It seems that I accidently opened the aft steps shower. I immediately closed the tap but we were practically out of water! A call to the resort confirmed that we could use their small boat dock tap, which we were quick to do. By that time the tide was out and on the way our outboard’s prop singed the now shallow reef, making us respect the line of poles along the channel that was dug for the resort’s boats.

The rocks on the north of the anchorage sort of "lifted their skirts" with the low water and showed their interesting underwater shape.

IMG_2507 - Copy 

Dinner at the resort was good. All of us had too much to eat (and drink).

24.7.12 – Tuesday – Last day on the boat for Shimon and Gideon and a windy day it was. I took them to the Pang Nga Ko Hong. After the one we saw yesterday they declined my offer to take the dinghy in. We did stop for a while for me to buy a kilogram of fresh prawns from a local fisherman and then went on to peek at "James Bond island" from the distance.

After lunch we sailed to Ao Po marina. The guys are leaving tomorrow and the place is conveniently close to the airport.

Once the wind died down with the coming evening, we wanted to take the genoa down; planning to order a new one, Rolly Tasker sail-makers wanted the sail’s exact measurements. Unthinkingly I released the tension on the genoa cable halyard before unfurling the sail, causing a bad entanglement of up the mast. I was lucky to be able to be hoisted up by the guys and put it right.

The sailmaker wanted me to measure the  luff, foot and leech which I did. But should I have measured the curved line or a straight one between the head, tack and clew? Have to contact Tasker again! 



  1. It was quiet frightening seeing you hang 17 meters up at the mast edge, fixing the genoa cable. It was allmost dark whet we lowered you back to dack.

  2. Do I know these guys from somewhere??? They look as if they have lots of fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: