Posted by: catamarantwooceans | February 2, 2017

Rocky horror Show – the Resurrection

30.1.17 – Monday – Even before 0800 I was at the door of the Flamenco marina office. They sent me to the boatyard operators office where a lady named Marguerite took care of the haul-out arrangements. They calculated the price as though ours was a 44 footer. I need to speak to the manager about that. The yard takes boats out only during high water hours and I was to be taken out at 1400. We came into the marina to take fuel at 1330 and when I looked into the haul out basin I thought there was not enough water to go in. I checked with the office and even before I expressed my concern Marguerite told me to come at 3 p.m.

Going into that basin was a bit stressful because the wind was blowing from our stern, sometimes reaching 20 knots. Once the straps were in position, we were taken off by a marina’s panga and Two Oceans was lifted out. As it was put in its allotted place on the hard I came, camera in hand, to look at the damage to the keels.

IMG_1482 - Copy

Not a pretty sight! We sat at the nearby café to wait for Ramon Martinez who was to come at 4 p.m. Ramon made his inspection, having good words about Maxim Yachts’ quality of construction and then we sat down to talk about the work and cost of the project. He said it should take about three days and wanted 3000$; that was a bit of a shock but recognizing the nature of the situation we bargained a bit and agreed on 2300$, still – a lot of money. Ramon impressed us (Yossi was present too) as a serious pro and the quality of the repair was the most important thing.

IMG_1485 - Copy 

Living on the boat is not permitted on the hard so we took a hotel. Ramon said he would take us there and we drove head-long into the Panama City evening congested traffic, a thing he may have regretted later when we had difficulty locating the hotel.

Esther and Yossi are going back to Israel tomorrow; we had great time together; they went through the canal crossing, which is a unique experience, sailed the Las Perlas, Yossi took out some nice fish and hitting the rocks added some spice to their time on the boat.

31.1.17 – Tuesday – Ramon came with two helpers, Gilberto and Hannibal. Sometimes they use unusual names here in Panama; the assistant of my agent on the first canal crossing was named Dracula!

IMG_1487 - Copy


IMG_1486 - Copy


They worked fast and as far as I could tell did the right things. First they sanded off all the broken fiberglass layers and took out damaged foam from the inside of the keel. The next move was to dry the area with an industrial heat blower, which took quit a long time.

IMG_1488 - Copy

Next they filled the cavity and reshaped the keel with a compound made of epoxy, glass fibers and silica, which they heated to accelerate the chemical reaction.

IMG_1494 - Copy

Once the material cured they started putting layers of different glass fiber cloth. At that stage, close to 5 p.m, I left to go my “new” hotel, less than ten minutes walk from the boatyard, which is the only good thing I can say about it. 

1.2.17 – Wednesday – More shaping and sanding on both keels to get to the desired result. By 1430 the work was ready for painting. The boatyard donated some leftover antifouling paint and I employed one of the yard workers to do the actual painting; Roberto is a man who loves his sombrero and when work dictates wearing a hard hat he puts it on top of his wide brim straw one.

IMG_1490 - Copy

I was happy with the work Ramon and his team did; the fact that they finished the job in two days saved me money. The price of a day in the boatyard is 4$ per foot, which for Two Oceans came to 152$ plus 7% tax, plus entry fee for the workers – I ended shelling more than 500$ for my three days stay on the hard. Launching is planned for 0900 tomorrow morning.

IMG_1503 - Copy


If you need a fiberglass repair man in Panama City – I highly recommend Ramon Martinez. His phone is 507 6698 0932. (don’t forget to negotiate!)

2.2.17 – Thursday – Two Oceans is back in her natural element, resurrected from a bad mishap. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here; although it did not seem reckless at all at the time, maybe I should have been more cautious. It would have saved us thousands of dollars, time and a lot of heart ache.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: